Saturday, February 18, 2012

Alternative Fitness For Sexy Housewives!

(A Domestic Goddess can multi-task!)

As busy women we can't always make it to the gym.  We can do exercise videos but we are not just content with being the "homemaker" anymore. We know that we're sexy, sensual beings, and our Mother's Richard Simmons "Sweatin' To The Oldies" just isn't good enough! So what is a sexy Domestic Goddess to do? 


PLENTY!


I have been amazed at how alternative fitness has taken off the past few years. No longer are women confined to boring old aerobics or  forced to do workouts designed for men. We have belly dancing, burlesque, pole dancing, stripper fitness, dance fitness (zumba, industrial, hip hop, hula, etc), and so much more! These programs are sexy, fun, and most importantly WORK YOUR BUTT OFF! 


Belly dancing and Burlesque are great because they're friendly for women of all shapes an sizes. Anyone who has seen belly dancing or burlesque shows know that they're not limited to "skinny girls". And all of the women in the show are sexy no matter their size! The costumes and the sensual movements are so hot! And of course the confidence it brings them is sexiest thing of all.


Pole Dancing is the hardest thing I've tried. I've only done it once and it was at a party but let me just say that after a few hours of taking turns on the pole (especially trying to hang upside down) the next morning my arms were noodles! Totally useless! Which has rarely ever happened to me and it means that they got a GREAT workout. Needless to say I'm having a pole built for me now so I can continue to get those awesome results! I'll keep you girls updated on how that goes. lol


The alternative "at home" fitness that I'm most familiar with is the "Flirty Girl Fitness" DVDs (you've probably seen commercials for them on late night TV). Flirty Girl Fitness was started by two sisters Kerry and Krista Knee (Yay! Girl Power!) who actually run FGF gyms in Toronto, Canada and Chicago in the US! The gyms are women exclusive and on the weekends they set up the studio with a Coyote Ugly dance Bar, Dance Poles, and Bistro dance chairs and open it up for member appreciation parties, networking events for women, and it can be rented for parties. Which I think is very cool. I like the DVDs because the instructor really makes it seem like you're on the same page. It's not just watching some hot chick bounce around on TV while you're dying. She "talks to you" and the other girls in the video about the moves being hard, acts worn out at the end of certain difficult moves, and encourages you to only do as much as you're comfortable with because she doesn't want you to over exert yourself. That is of course the great thing about doing fitness videos at home, you can leave at any time and not worry about the people looking at you like you're a failure! 


I'm also going to talk a little bit about other types of dance fitness. I know Belly Dancing, Burlesque, and Stripper/Pole Dancing would also fit into the dance fitness category, but I'm more familiar with those types of fitness regimens so I decided to give them their own separate spotlight! The dance fitness that has been really growing in popularity recently is Zumba. It's apparently some sort of latin dance based fitness class...and for some reason I haven't been able to bring myself to try it. It's so popular they even offer it as a class at my university. If you've tried it, let me know how it is, maybe I'll suck it up and actually get to the gym to try it out. lol There's also african dance, fitness ballroom dancing, hip hop, hula, samba, you name it! Don't believe me? Just check out Amazon's list of about a THOUSAND different dance fitness DVD's!


Speaking of working out...it's time to get my Flirty Girl Fitness on! 


LETS GET FIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment